Thursday, September 19, 2013

What's In a Name?


  • Betsy Love LDS Author: Struggles with Edits
I need some help with my current 
Work In Progress.  Actually, it's done except for one important detail.  I need a title.  Now, usually these come to me easily during the course of writing the book.  This time it didn't, so I am turning to you my dear friends, fans, readers and 'happen alongs', for help.

What's in a name?  In a book, it is as important as the cover.  It is the first impression, after all and could mean everything to the success of the book, not matter how perfect the author's prose.  
Among the worst titles for 2013 are "Breakfast at Hardee's" and "Howard's Rear End".  The full list can be found at  http://area2oh3.com/bad-romance-novel-titles/

Let's look at how I titled my Club Decadence series for example; Faithfully was named for a Journey song from the 70’s and the lyrics captured the essence of the couple, committed and loving despite being apart.  It was their song, so naturally this was a perfect title.  Captain, My Captain came from the hero’s Army rank, but also because it was the playful name the heroine called him, neither liking Sir or Master which are so common.  You Said Forever was for the vow of “forever” the H/h made to each other.  Finally, in Little Light of Mine, it is a play on the heroine’s name.  I have always loved the name Elena.  She is Latina and her name in Spanish means “little light”.  It was obvious from there.  It is also the special nickname that Dex calls her along with “chaquita” and a few other Spanish endearments.  I love when a man uses a unique nickname that has a special meaning to just the two of them.

So along those lines, I need your help.  My current work is a western time-travel romance about a modern woman from 2013 who finds herself transported to Wyoming in 1878.  




There Janelle meets the very sexy, masculine and dominant Marshall Aaron Jackson.  They butt heads of course (emotional angst and all that) and he winds up marrying her to save her.  He is her hero until he decides to exercise his husbandly rights in the bedroom.  No I don't mean sex (although there is plenty of that) but in a manner, true to the old west, he must tan her hide, wallop her, give her a good hiding for some disobediently dangerous act.  If you know my books, there is a rift that must be mended, a villain that must be conquered, a love that must be nurtured, and a butt that must be busted.  LOL

Here is some visual assistance that my good spanking fiction friend Laura will appreciate:




Her is an excerpt:


“Give me a minute with her, will you Doc?”  The familiar deep voice captured Janelle’s attention and she turned her head to see its source.  She gaped as she looked at the spitting image of Joe Manganiello her favorite werewolf from True Blood.  His dark brown hair, soulful brown eyes, and scruff of beard were the same as in all of her werewolf Joe sex dreams.  Only this man was taller, hotter and a lot more muscular.  He also appeared to be a heck of a lot angrier. 
The Doc nodded tucking a soft wad of linen in her hand with instructions for her to hold it to her wound to slow the bleeding, then quietly left the room.

As soon as the door clicked shut, Joe’s look alike walked closer to the table and stared down at her.  “Let’s get some things straight, right now.  You will do exactly what the doctor says, you will do it politely and will thank him when he is done.  And if I hear another foul or disrespectful word out of your mouth I will turn you over my knee and paddle your little ass until you can’t sit for a week.  Is that understood?”



OK... Just for pleasure here is another visual aid..



Joe Manganiello (Alcide Herveaux) - Page 2



My working title is "The Marshall's Woman".  Does that work for you?   Any other suggestions?  Please comment below...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment